Fujifilm Corporation announced that in late February 2021, the company will launch Fujifilm GFX100S, a Mirrorless Digital Camera. This will be a new addition to the GFX series of Mirrorless camera with a large format sensor. The sensor in the camera is about 1.7 times the size of a 35mm full frame sensor. It also has the world’s highest sensor format of 102 MP. That is something to look forward to!
Fujifilm GFX100S Specs
- Colour reproduction technology for high quality images. It includes the high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 4”, which is a flagship of the GFX series.
- Compact light weight body about 900gm.
- 0-stops of five-axis image stabilization mechanism, especially when using the FUJINON Lens GF63mm F2.8 R WR.
- Autofocus (AF) function with a high level of speed and accuracy. Phase detection pixels are spread across the sensor to enable fast and accurate AF.
- The camera is extremely weather resistant and can even operate at a temperature of below 10 degree Celsius.
- Excellent video quality of 4K/30P resolution.
- Good hand grip, which reduces hand strains even when larger lens is used.
Fujifilm GFX100S Unique Features
The sensor resolution of Fujifilm GFX100S is unique. The camera takes advantage of the wide dynamic range to achieve a low noise state and rich tonality. It works with the shadows and the highlights to create a three dimensional effect in the images. The depth of field shallow also renders the background out of focus giving a smooth Bokeh effect.
In the DCI format (17:9 aspect ratio), which is commonly used by digital cinema cameras, the camera records video with a sensor area measuring about 49.5mm diagonally.
The GFX100S offers the new Film Simulation mode called the “Nostalgic Neg.” It is characterized by high saturation and soft tonality. This mode uses colors and tones reminiscent of the “American New Color” of the 1970s. The images with this mode is great for photographic fine arts.
|Lens Focal Length||32mm|
Fujifilm GFX100S Photos
The camera attains focus smoothly even in near-darkness conditions down to -5.5EV. This is in accordance with FUJINON Lens GF63mm F2.8 R WR. Dark room or night outdoors is illuminated only with starlight, providing users with accurate AF in low light.
When the camera is used with the “NINJA V”*8 by ATOMOS, the GFX100S can record video in the Apple ProRes RAW format. The RAW data, is free of any in-camera processing. It allows users to apply exposure adjustments and color grading with flexibility for fully-fledged video production.
The Mode dial, on the top panel of the camera body, offers six customizable positions C1 – C6. Users can register functions of their choice to each of the positions so that they can be activated swiftly for a smooth photo shoot.
The GFX100S supports the highly efficient H.264 and H.265/HEVC compression codecs as well as the “F-Log” mode. The F-Log mode reproduces rich tonality and the “Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG)” is used for recording high dynamic range (HDR) footage with ease. The bit rate can be set up to 400Mbps to produce video as intended.
News Release from Fujifilm, 27th January 2021.